Imagine Tessa walking into her kitchen. She pulls her favorite coffee cup out and puts it on top of the induction counter. “Good Morning Tessa, it will be sunny and 85 degrees today.” She taps the counter and proceeds to sip her coffee while looking out onto the projection of one of her favorite spots in the world, the Colorado Rockies. She is mindful of time, in one hour the back wall kitchen cabinetry will transform and open up into her workspace. A pre-set zoom conference appears on the smart glass wall and Tessa begins her workday.
Hailed a visionary designer, American Standard asked Michele Alfano to start thinking about the Post Covid kitchen of the future. Today, the kitchen is known as the heart of the home. The Kitchen of the Future will be known to nourish the mind, heart, body and planet, marrying technology and nature to create a self-sustainable space for healthy living. Through Michele Alfano Design’s (MAD) signature lens Poetic Modernism®, new forms of human engagement within the kitchen will affect our brain, our multiple senses, and impact our well-being.
In today’s post we will talk about how it impacts the MIND:
For sure we see the Kitchen of the Future to include smart technology to make our lives easier, convenient and promote healthy living:
- Gesture and voice recognition: technology that recognizes it is you and controls appliances to your liking which will ultimately improve your cooking experience.
- Smart surfaces: The smart counter is designed to respond to our real time needs. The smart induction surface will have sensor technology that can learn our likes and our routines and assist us with it all.
- Smart glass wall: (projected mountain landscape) The smart glass wall is either connected by voice recognition or connected back to our counters and/or appliances and information will be projected onto the glass backsplash. The glass wall recognizes who you are and will have the ability to show video chats, recipes, your schedule for the day, your email, the weather, the time, and different inspiring landscapes.
- Workspace in the kitchen: during the pandemic we all experienced working from home. The perimeter cabinetry along the glass wall is designed to hide a desk area. For zoom conferences, the perimeter cabinetry slides open and transforms into a comfortable workspace. The Smart glass wall serves as a large computer screen for zoom chats.
- Video chats, and zooms can be displayed on the Smart glass wall providing flexibility to work.
- Smart appliances: appliances will learn about you, your habits, your behaviors and help you to cook more efficiently.
- Wall oven of the future: Combined sous vide and steam wall oven to suit all needs. A smart cooking oven that learns actions, and makes recommendations on the smart wall. Sous vide / Steam professional cooking techniques will be the new cooking staple. Convenience food at home will no longer mean unhealthy or poor quality. Smart cooking solutions will balance time, taste and health.
- Induction cooktop of the future: connected to the smart wall and smart counter, smart cooking cooktop that learns actions, and makes recommendations on the smart wall.
- Sink of the future: trough used for herb prepping, and entertaining. A far off futuristic idea is the trough can turn into a dishwasher.
- Refrigerator and Freezer: bacteria sensors to tell you when your food is not fresh.
- Wine refrigerator: recognizes your wine habits and pairs wine with your meals.
- American Standard’s Saybrook Filtered kitchen faucet: A filtered faucet in the kitchen is essential to every health conscious home. American Standard’s Saybrook Filtered Kitchen Faucet is engineered to provide easy access to safe, clean drinking water at the push of a button. The faucet delivers fresh filtered water and regular tap water from a single, easy-to-install faucet. This environmentally friendly solution eliminates reliance on plastic water bottles with a sleek design that serves as a work of art in the space.
Stay tuned for the next article where we will talk about how the Kitchen of the Future influences the heart, body, and earth.